The Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR) was founded in 1964 as an expansion of the Universities Council on Hydrology. UCOWR is a consortium of academic institutions and affiliates invested in water resources research, education, and outreach. Our inclusive organization values membership from research universities, undergraduate institutions, tribal colleges, historically black colleges and universities, and Hispanic-serving institutions.
UCOWR is steered by a Board of Directors with daily operations maintained by an Executive Director and support staff, located at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
UCOWR expands the capacity of universities and their partners to address current water resources challenges through sharing expertise, fostering leadership, and developing interdisciplinary collaborations.
What We Can Do For You
- Develop leadership skills, be a voice and help shape our diverse organization.
- Receive discounts for our dynamic UCOWR/NIWR Annual Conference featuring career development, skill building and research exposure.
- Connect with a growing network of over 65 institutions nationwide who are leading the way in water research, education and policy.
- Publish in and receive the Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education, the only peer-reviewed water resource journal focused on applied research, policy, education, and extension.
- Be recognized for outstanding research and early, mid- and lifetime career achievements through our prestigious annual awards and scholarships.
- Access exclusive Water Smart Innovations conference scholarships through our partnership with Southern Nevada Water Authority.
- Advertise graduate assistantships and other student opportunities via our website.
Many organizations focus on water. Only one focuses on people working across academia. UCOWR builds community across all water disciplines. You’ll find your niche with us. You’ll find your people here.